Happy 2016 everyone! As the weather gets colder and messier, it is tempting to run to Yankee Candle for beach themed car air freshener. And while that may make you feel closer to the warmth and sunshine, it also brings you closer to toxins and chemicals. While they are incredibly popular and smell great, they contain phthalates, which are dangerous chemicals that are proven to cause birth defects, hormonal issues, and problems with reproducing. Not to worry… Today you can make your own air freshener! You can put it in your car (like I did!), in your office, in your bedroom.
What you need:
- 1 mason jar
- 1 small piece of cardboard
- baking soda
- your favorite essential oils (I chose lavender, lemon, peppermint)
What you do:
- Fill half the mason jar with baking soda.
- Remove the center of the mason jar lid, and replace it with a piece of cardboard that is the same size. Poke holes in the cardboard, so that the scent can break through.
- Mix in several drops of each essential oil. You want roughly 25 oil drops altogether, so I did about 8 drops of each of the 3 oils I chose.
- Mix together, put the lid on and put it wherever you fancy!
Which essential oils should you choose? I picked the 3 I chose for the following reasons:
- Lemon- boosts mood, helps you breathe clearer and deeper, fights allergies.
- Lavender- relaxation, relieves tension. I wanted to solely use lavender, but it is a powerful scent that helps you sleep, and I don’t want to be asleep at the wheel!
- Peppermint- boosts mood, promotes lung health, GI health.
Here are my favorite resources that go more in depth into the power of essential oils:
Have you tried essential oils? Are you ready to amp up your air freshener game?